Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
Discover the benefits of getting dental crowns and bridges for your smile.
Accidents happen! Yes, even to your smile. Whether you are dealing with extensive decay, or a cracked or broken tooth, Dr. Heidi Eggers-Ulve (pediatric dentist) and Dr. Eric Ulve (general dentist) at Green Bay Family Dental in Green Bay, WI, is here to tell you how getting dental crowns and bridges could turn your smile around.
What are crowns and bridges?
These fixed dental restorations are custom-made just for you. A crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is placed over a tooth to improve its function and appearance while a dental bridge is used to fill gaps and replace one or more missing teeth.
Why might I get a crown?
A crown is a very versatile restoration that can be used to protect a tooth from further damage. A tooth weakened by decay, infection, or trauma can often benefit from getting a crown. A crown will surround the tooth and provide a stronger and more durable outer layer of protection.
A crown may be recommended if you have a cracked, fractured, or broken tooth, if you have a tooth that is badly misshapen or discolored, or if you just underwent root canal therapy.
When are dental bridges needed?
A dental bridge is a fixed oral prosthetic that is designed to replace a single missing tooth or a few missing teeth in a row. A bridge uses two dental crowns, which are placed over healthy teeth on both sides of the gap. The bridge, which contains false teeth, will be fused with the crowns to anchor the artificial teeth in the middle.
Dental crowns and bridges offer an array of benefits, from treating tooth loss and filling gaps left behind by missing teeth, to protecting teeth from further damage and improving the aesthetics of your smile.
Do you want to know more about dental crowns, bridges, and other restorative dentistry options we offer? If so, all you have to do is call Dr. Heidi Eggers-Ulve (pediatric dentist) and Dr. Eric Ulve (general dentist) at Green Bay Family Dental in Green Bay, WI. You can reach our office at 920-432-2961.
Wear and tear, aging, decay, and injuries can damage or weaken teeth and alter your smile. Fortunately, your Green Bay, WI, Dentists, Dr. Heidi Eggers-Ulve or Dr. Eric Ulve of Green Bay Family Dental, can help you restore, strengthen, or enhance your smile with porcelain crowns.
Versatile crowns offer several smile benefits
Crowns are hollow restorations that slip over the tops of your teeth, protecting them on all four sides. A certain amount of artistry is involved in crafting porcelain crowns. Dental laboratory technicians use an impression of your mouth to create a restoration that looks natural and feels comfortable. After your Green Bay dentist makes a few small adjustments to your crown, it's cemented to your tooth.
Porcelain, a durable material that reflects light the same way tooth enamel does, is used to create crowns that are tough enough to withstand years of chewing and biting.
Your dentist may recommend crowns if:
- You Have a Large Filling: Porcelain crowns help strengthen teeth with large fillings. Although the filling process eliminates decay, it can weaken the tooth if a significant amount of structure must be removed. Crowns can also be used instead of a filling if decay is extensive.
- You Had a Root Canal: Tooth-saving root canal therapy can weaken your tooth. Adding porcelain crowns decreases your risk of a fracture.
- Your Teeth are Fragile: Brittle or crumbling teeth can be protected and strengthened with dental crowns.
- You Have a Crack in Your Tooth: Cracks weaken teeth and may allow bacteria to enter the teeth and cause tooth decay. Encasing teeth in layers of porcelain keeps bacteria away and prevents the crack from breaking your tooth.
- Your Tooth is Too Short: Whether you have a few teeth that have become short due to grinding, or you have a tooth that has always been short, crowns can be used to add height.
- Your Tooth Broke: Crowns restore broken teeth, improving their appearance and your ability to chew.
- You Don't Like the Way a Tooth Looks: Porcelain crowns can completely change the shape of teeth or conceal discolorations.
Strengthen, protect, and improve your smile with porcelain crowns! Call your Green Bay, WI, dentists, Drs. Heidi Eggers-Ulve and Eric Ulve of Green Bay Family Dental, at (920) 432-2961 to schedule your appointment.